- Take all medications as prescribed (try and take antibiotics/pain medication with food to avoid nausea).
- Begin rinsing with prescription mouth rinse the morning AFTER surgery and continue as directed.
- Apply ice to the outside of the face on the surgical side for the FIRST 24-48 HOURS ONLY (10 minutes on and 10 minutes off).
- Try and eat soft, cold items for the first day (milkshakes, yogurt, jello, ice cream, pudding, nutritional drinks like Ensure, etc.). Lukewarm soup may be eaten for dinner on the day of surgery, but make sure to test it with a finger before eating.
- Maintain a soft diet for the first two (2) weeks (pasta, mashed potatoes, soups, etc.).
- Leave the surgical site alone and chew your food on the opposite side.
- Brush the teeth in the UNTREATED AREAS as you normally would. You may CAREFULLY brush ONLY the chewing surfaces of the teeth in the surgical area.
- Rest and sleep on the opposite side of the face from surgical site.
- DO NOT talk excessively on the day of surgery.
- DO NOT disrupt the sutures with your tongue.
- DO NOT look at the surgical area or pull on the lips or cheeks.
- DO NOT eat hot foods for the first 48 hours post-surgery. Allow hot foods to cool to lukewarm temperatures before eating
- DO NOT use a straw for five (5) days after surgery.
- DO NOT exercise for 48 hours after surgery. Return to exercise gradually. If bleeding or throbbing occurs, stop and rest.
- DO NOT brush the gums in the area where surgery was performed. You may brush the chewing surface of the teeth in the surgical area.
- DO NOT swish, spit, or rinse the day of surgery.